Ancho powder which is derived from the Poblano peppers has a mild, sweet, fruity flavor. Dried Ancho has a dark, brick red to mahogany color and ranges from 3 to 5 on a heat scale of 1 to 10. Health benefits of this brilliant pepper: a natural anti-inflammatory, reduce blood cholesterol, boost immunity and increase the metabolic rate.
Shiitake mushrooms are a symbol of longevity and optimal health in Asian culture. Shiitake mushroom’s active compound is Lentinan which has been known to strengthen the immune system to fight infection and disease and has cancer fighting properties. Shiitake mushrooms are also the top food source of the powerful antioxidant L-ergothioneine (which is not destroyed when cooked) a top free radical scavenger for the body and a top anti-inflammatory for rheumatoid arthritis.
With grapefruit, pine nut, goji berries and dark leafy greens, this dish, which serves six, is a powerhouse palate pleaser.
6 six-ounce skinless wild salmon fillets
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
2 tablespoons of ancho chile powder
¼ cup scallions, minced
3 tablespoons virgin olive oil
2 cups shiitake mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
½ ounce white wine or sherry
1 bunch watercress/arugula or dark leafy greens
¼ cup cilantro chopped
2 pink grapefruits, peeled and cut into segments
¼ cup Goji Berries chopped
¼ cup pine nuts raw
1. Preheat oven to 400. Season salmon with salt, pepper and ancho chile powder on both sides . Gently pat with finger tips.
2. Coat the filets on one side only with scallion to create a crust.
3. In a large sautÃ© pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil with high heat. Add fillets crust side down first, and sear for 3 minutes or until golden brown. Flip over and transfer to a large baking dish and place in the oven for roughly 10 minutes or until center is slightly pink.
4. In another large sautÃ© pan, heat 1 tablespoon of oil with high heat. Add shiitakes, salt, garlic and pepper and move around for 5 minutes. Deglaze pan with white wine or sherry, allowing mushrooms to absorb and burn off alcohol.
5. In a large bowl, Toss greens with lemon-cleanse vinaigrette and place on each plate.
6. Place Salmon on bed of greens. Spoon mushroom mixture over fillets and garnish with cilantro, grapefruit segments, Goji berries and pine nuts.
Lemon Cleanse Vinaigrette
This refreshing lemon vinaigrette is made with the Mars/Venus super cleanse mix (available at marsvenus.com) is not only irresistibly delicious but an essential part of daily cleansing. This one product eliminates toxic build up in the body and enhances digestion with pre/ probiotics.
In addition to rejuvenating the body’s cells, it is packed with essential minerals and citrus to stimulate the liver.
You may use this recipe to marinate chicken, fish and veggies.
Drinking the super cleanse with 6 oz. of water each morning will improve your well being immensely.
½ cup Virgin Olive Oil
¼ cup raw apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (add more as desired)
¼ cup Mars/Venus lemon cleanse
1. Place apple cider vinegar, ginger, parsley, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and lemon cleanse mix in a blender and pulse 3-to-4 times. Blend on low and slowly stream the olive oil until emulsified. If the vinaigrette becomes thick- stream in filtered water until desired consistency.
2. Season with additional pepper and salt as desired.